Royal Emirates Group buys Spanish soccer club
Dubai: The Dubai-based Royal Emirates Group investment firm confirmed on Thursday the purchase of Spanish first division soccer club Getafe, which is to be renamed "Getafe Team Dubai".
The documents of the sale were signed by club president Angel Torres Sanchez and the managing director of Royal Emirates, Kaiser Rafiq, among other political figures and sports personalities.
Rafiq did not reveal the exact amount of the operation, but said that it was between 70 million and 90 million euros ($101 million-$130 million), the same amount that Royal Emirates said earlier it was prepared to pay for the Spanish soccer club.
Royal Emirates Group plans to invest in the club to bring "new blood" to Getafe and promote the squad in the Middle East.
The U.A.E. press had speculated recently about the possibility of the consortium acquiring a Spanish club, and among the candidates mentioned were Getafe and Real Zaragoza.
Royal Emirates Group described Getafe, based in suburban Madrid, as a "shooting star" that in a short time had managed to make its mark in the first division of Spain`s professional soccer league.
The group`s chairman, Sheikh Butti Bin Suhail Al Maktoum, said that the intention is for Getafe to "open its doors to Arab soccer talent".
"Getafe is a great team," he said.
Royal Emirates Group is invested in more than 200 firms covering a wide variety of interests including raw materials, oil, renewable energy, tourism, healthcare and construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India