Rui Alberto Costa wins 8th stage of Tour de France
Super-Besse: Portuguese rider Rui Alberto Costa won the eighth stage of the Tour de France after withstanding a late attack from Philippe Gilbert on Saturday, while Thor Hushovd kept the leader`s yellow jersey.
Costa waved his hands in delight and then punched the air as he clinched the first Tour stage win of his career.
"I knew I could get in the breakaway today, the team put me in the best position," Costa said. "I was lucky that I managed to hold on until the end. I`m very happy with this win."
The race entered the mountains for the first time in the 117-mile trek from Aigurande to Super-Besse, featuring a sharp category 2 climb up Col de la Croix and a final climb of one mile.
Hushovd has been wearing the yellow jersey for a week.
Hushovd, who is not a renowned climber, was certain he was going to lose the yellow jersey before the stage.
"Maybe I was a bit pessimistic," he said. "I didn`t think I could do it."
Alexandre Vinokourov closed within 15 seconds of Costa in the last mile, but the Kazakh rider ran out of steam as he had no teammates to help him.
Gilbert was fresher after sitting in with the main pack for much of the day`s climbs. He overtook Vinokourov after launching an attack with about 400 meters left.
None of the main Tour contenders lost any significant time.
Defending champion Alberto Contador of Spain, Andy Schleck of Luxembourg and Cadel Evans of Australia — both two-time runners-up — tested each other out with mini-attacks.
Since Gilbert is not considered an overall Tour contender, they didn`t feel the need to chase down the Belgian when he went after Vinokourov.
Evans is looking forward to trying another attack on Sunday`s ninth stage, which also features several climbs.
"I have a very good team that`s been working very hard every day," Evans said. "Let`s wait and see what happens tomorrow.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...