Rupee may range between 47-49 a dollar: Analysts
Mumbai: The Rupee is expected to appreciate in the near future, a leading mutual fund industry official said.
"The Rupee is expected to strengthen in the coming days backed by strong capital flows--only capped to the tune of how much the RBI wants to shore up the country`s forex reserves," ICICI Prudential Asset Management`s Deputy Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer, Nilesh Shah, said at the Antique India Markets Conference 2009 here today.
The Rupee was trading strong at 48.73 against the dollar on Monday.
It is difficult to predict the future but the climate is favourable for the Rupee to appreciate, Shah said.
The Rupees may range between Rs 47-49 and likely not cross Rs 50 in the short-run," Central Bank of India`s Executive Director, Arun Kaul, said.
Commenting on the interest rate scenario, Shah said that in the short-run interest rates may come down, but eventually it could go up.
The size of the Government`s borrowing programme was large. But now with the pace of the borrowing programme slowing down and liquidity remaining quite robust, one could see interest re-emerging on Government security, Shah said.
Interest rates may remain soft in the short-term, Yes Bank`s managing Director & CEO, Rana Kapoor, said.
Going ahead, inflation would keep pressure on interest rates, Kaul said.
Earlier, ICICI Bank`s ex-Chairman, K V Kamath, said that the Government should make known its measure to bridge the fiscal gap as this would help ease interest rates.
Currently, the availability of liquidity is good, so that does not warrant the sort of yields which are being seen, he said.
Kamath suggested that the Government should articulate more boldly its maximum capacity of raising funds through disinvestment of state-owned companies, which can boost gilt traders` confidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy