Rupee steady as stocks offset weaker dollar
Mumbai: The rupee was trading slightly stronger than 47 per dollar on Friday, and traders said it was caught between the weight of a weaker stock market and support from the dollar coming off its recent highs.
At 10:51 am the partially convertible rupee was at 46.86/865 per dollar, off a low of 46.92 and little changed from Thursday`s close of 46.88/89. It had hit 46.97 during trade on Thursday, its lowest since November 27.
"Looks like we will stay in the range of 46.80/95 as the dollar seems likely to stay weak and Indian shares seem to be resistant at current levels," said a senior forex dealer at a state-run bank.
The BSE Sensex was down 0.26 percent, taking cues from weak Asian markets and led by losses in local banks, and on track to post their first weekly fall in three weeks.
The dollar stayed pressured as investors unwound long positions in the approach to the year-end. The index of the dollar against six majors was down 0.26 percent.
The US currency had earlier briefly dropped on since-dismissed rumours of a coup in Pakistan that were sparked by a government minister being barred from leaving the country.
One-month offshore non-deliverable forward contracts were quoted at 46.87/97, close to the spot rate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule