Rushmi, Shivika enter National Grasscourt semis
Kolkata: Defending champion Rushmi
Chakravarthi and second seed Shivika Burman registered
contrasting wins to reach the semifinals of the National
Grasscourt Tennis Championship at Calcutta South Club here
While local girl Shivika needed 71 minutes to dump Geeta
Manohar of Air India 6-1 6-3, top seed Rushmi toiled to tame
fifth seed Treta Bhattacharyya 1-6 6-2 6-4.
In the men?s singles, fifth seed P C Vignesh humbled top
seed V M Ranjeet 6-4 6-7(6-8) 6-3 after a 144-minute battle.
Qualifier Vivek Shokeen defeated third seed Yannick
Nelord to advance to semifinals in closely fought two sets,
both of which went to tie breaker.
The first set saw serves being broken at the fag end.
Nelord lost his serve in the 11th game but broke back in the
12th. In the tie break Shokeen raced to 5-0 and finally took
the set at 7-2.
In the second set Shokeen was broken in the fifth game
and broke back in the eighth. The tie break went in Shokeen`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information