Rushmi, Shivika enter National Grasscourt semis
Kolkata: Defending champion Rushmi
Chakravarthi and second seed Shivika Burman registered
contrasting wins to reach the semifinals of the National
Grasscourt Tennis Championship at Calcutta South Club here
While local girl Shivika needed 71 minutes to dump Geeta
Manohar of Air India 6-1 6-3, top seed Rushmi toiled to tame
fifth seed Treta Bhattacharyya 1-6 6-2 6-4.
In the men?s singles, fifth seed P C Vignesh humbled top
seed V M Ranjeet 6-4 6-7(6-8) 6-3 after a 144-minute battle.
Qualifier Vivek Shokeen defeated third seed Yannick
Nelord to advance to semifinals in closely fought two sets,
both of which went to tie breaker.
The first set saw serves being broken at the fag end.
Nelord lost his serve in the 11th game but broke back in the
12th. In the tie break Shokeen raced to 5-0 and finally took
the set at 7-2.
In the second set Shokeen was broken in the fifth game
and broke back in the eighth. The tie break went in Shokeen`s
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference