Rushmi, Shivika enter National Grasscourt semis
Kolkata: Defending champion Rushmi
Chakravarthi and second seed Shivika Burman registered
contrasting wins to reach the semifinals of the National
Grasscourt Tennis Championship at Calcutta South Club here
While local girl Shivika needed 71 minutes to dump Geeta
Manohar of Air India 6-1 6-3, top seed Rushmi toiled to tame
fifth seed Treta Bhattacharyya 1-6 6-2 6-4.
In the men?s singles, fifth seed P C Vignesh humbled top
seed V M Ranjeet 6-4 6-7(6-8) 6-3 after a 144-minute battle.
Qualifier Vivek Shokeen defeated third seed Yannick
Nelord to advance to semifinals in closely fought two sets,
both of which went to tie breaker.
The first set saw serves being broken at the fag end.
Nelord lost his serve in the 11th game but broke back in the
12th. In the tie break Shokeen raced to 5-0 and finally took
the set at 7-2.
In the second set Shokeen was broken in the fifth game
and broke back in the eighth. The tie break went in Shokeen`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje