Russia pulls out of 2022 World Cup bidding
Zurich: Russia has formally withdrawn its bid to host the 2022 World Cup.
The decision on Friday was a formality once the United States pulled out of the 2018 contest last week, leaving a four-way race between European bidders.
FIFA rules say the World Cup cannot be played on the same continent for two straight tournaments.
Russia is competing with England and the joint bids of Belgium-Netherlands and Spain-Portugal to host in 2018.
The 2022 contest is between the United States, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Qatar.
FIFA is currently investigating unnamed bidders for alleged vote-trading collusion.
FIFA`s ethics committee will recommend next month if any bidders should be disqualified before the December 2 vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh