Russia to build most powerful laser station
Moscow: Russia is all set to build the world`s most powerful dual-purpose laser station at an approximate cost of 45 billion rubles ($1.5 billion), a Russian nuclear official said Thursday.
The station might be built near the Sarov Federal Nuclear Centre in Russia`s Nizhny Novgorod region, said Ildar Ilkayev, the nuclear centre` head. But he did not specify when the construction would begin.
"The Russian leadership made a decision to build the world`s largest laser station... The United States has already constructed a similar station and France is about to complete the construction of their own station. We [Russia] are behind them because it costs a lot, but it will be the best one in the world," Ilkayev said.
The station, he said, would be used both for military and scientific purposes, particularly in the research of laser thermonuclear fusion, which scientists view as being the energy production`s backbone in future.
Ilkayev said it would take at least 10 years to build the station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'