Russians excel on track to lead team event
Stockholm: Holders Russia are in pole position after a solid performance on the track at the European Team Athletics Championships on Saturday.
Victories in the men`s 400 metres and long jump plus the women`s 800, 3,000 and 3,000 steeplechase helped the Russians reach 213 points after the first day of the two-day event.
Germany are in second place on 183.5 ahead of Britain and the Ukraine. France`s Christophe Lemaitre clocked a championship record time of 9.95 seconds in winning the 100 to help lift France into fifth place in the 12-team competition.
Hosts Sweden will be determined to improve their performance after a forgettable first day left them bottom of the table.
Only long jumper Michel Torneus gave the home fans something to cheer when he came second to Russia`s Alexsandr Menkov.
His leap of 8.19 metres was just one centimetre less than Menkov`s championship record jump.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef