Russians excel on track to lead team event
Stockholm: Holders Russia are in pole position after a solid performance on the track at the European Team Athletics Championships on Saturday.
Victories in the men`s 400 metres and long jump plus the women`s 800, 3,000 and 3,000 steeplechase helped the Russians reach 213 points after the first day of the two-day event.
Germany are in second place on 183.5 ahead of Britain and the Ukraine. France`s Christophe Lemaitre clocked a championship record time of 9.95 seconds in winning the 100 to help lift France into fifth place in the 12-team competition.
Hosts Sweden will be determined to improve their performance after a forgettable first day left them bottom of the table.
Only long jumper Michel Torneus gave the home fans something to cheer when he came second to Russia`s Alexsandr Menkov.
His leap of 8.19 metres was just one centimetre less than Menkov`s championship record jump.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'