Russians excel on track to lead team event
Stockholm: Holders Russia are in pole position after a solid performance on the track at the European Team Athletics Championships on Saturday.
Victories in the men`s 400 metres and long jump plus the women`s 800, 3,000 and 3,000 steeplechase helped the Russians reach 213 points after the first day of the two-day event.
Germany are in second place on 183.5 ahead of Britain and the Ukraine. France`s Christophe Lemaitre clocked a championship record time of 9.95 seconds in winning the 100 to help lift France into fifth place in the 12-team competition.
Hosts Sweden will be determined to improve their performance after a forgettable first day left them bottom of the table.
Only long jumper Michel Torneus gave the home fans something to cheer when he came second to Russia`s Alexsandr Menkov.
His leap of 8.19 metres was just one centimetre less than Menkov`s championship record jump.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony