SA CWG team was too white: Parliamentarian
Johannesburg: The South African team that finished fifth in the Delhi Commonwealth Games with 33 medals was "too white" and was not representative of the country`s population demographics, a Parliamentarian here has stated.
The Chairman of the oversight committee on sport and recreation in the South African Parliament, Bhutana Komphela, told the committee that this view was expressed by the High Commissioner to India, Harris Mbulelo Majeke.
"The High Commissioner said to me, `that team is too white`," the `The Star` quoted Komphela as telling the committee.
Komphela said the team looked more European than South African.
"The Samoan team looked more South Africa ? ours looked like it`s from the Queen," Komphela said.
"We are not saying take kids (of other race groups) from the streets, but why is there no concerted effort to transform sport? Send a South African team to (the Olympics) in London in 2012," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview