SA CWG team was too white: Parliamentarian
Johannesburg: The South African team that finished fifth in the Delhi Commonwealth Games with 33 medals was "too white" and was not representative of the country`s population demographics, a Parliamentarian here has stated.
The Chairman of the oversight committee on sport and recreation in the South African Parliament, Bhutana Komphela, told the committee that this view was expressed by the High Commissioner to India, Harris Mbulelo Majeke.
"The High Commissioner said to me, `that team is too white`," the `The Star` quoted Komphela as telling the committee.
Komphela said the team looked more European than South African.
"The Samoan team looked more South Africa ? ours looked like it`s from the Queen," Komphela said.
"We are not saying take kids (of other race groups) from the streets, but why is there no concerted effort to transform sport? Send a South African team to (the Olympics) in London in 2012," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter