SA sports minister still wants Olympics bid
Johannesburg: South Africa`s sport minister said on Tuesday he still wants the country to bid for the 2020 Olympic Games despite a cabinet decision last month to instead spend money on services for the poor.
Fikile Mbalula said he hopes to convince his colleagues in President Jacob Zuma`s cabinet to revisit plans for an Olympic bid, which the government vetoed after estimating it would cost $50 million.
"The bidding process is quite open. If we`re able to persuade government otherwise and turn around things, then we`ll still be able to announce (a bid)," Mbalula told journalists.
Mbalula collapsed at the May 25 cabinet meeting where plans for a bid were scrapped and was later hospitalised with what the government described as "flu-like" symptoms.
But he said Tuesday: "From our own point of view, the struggle continues. It`s not all lost."
Mbalula was speaking at a briefing on preparations for a meeting of the International Olympic Committee next month in the eastern port city of Durban, where the host city for the 2018 Winter Olympics will be announced.
Durban had been tipped as a likely bidder for the 2020 summer games after winning praise as a host city during the football World Cup last year.
But the South African government said it would rather spend money creating jobs and improving services like water and electricity.
"If any money is going to be spent, it`s going to be on basic service delivery," government spokesman Jimmy Manyi said.
South Africa poured $5 billion dollars (3.5 billion euros) into the first World Cup in Africa and largely overcame fears about crime and poor transportation to host a widely applauded tournament.
But the country struggles to provide basic services and faces a 25 percent unemployment rate, issues that have sparked major protests in poor communities in recent years.
Cape Town sought in 1997 to become the first African host of the Olympics, but when it failed to win the 2004 games the country turned its focus to the World Cup.
Candidates for 2020 must submit their bids to the IOC by September 1. The host city will be chosen in Buenos Aires in September 2013.
Doha, Istanbul, Rome, Tokyo and South Korea`s Busan have all shown interest in hosting the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo