Saba Anjum to lead India in Champions Challenge hockey
New Delhi: Experienced striker Saba Anjum
will lead the Indian women`s hockey team in the Champions
Challenge I tournament to be held in Dublin, Ireland from June
18-26 in the absence of regular skipper Surinder Kaur, who
opted out of the event citing family problems.
Hockey India selectors B P Govinda, Syed Ali, Rekha
Bhide, Rajbir Kaur and Sita Mehta besides government observers
Harbinder Singh and Dilip Tirkey picked up the 18-member team
after trials held here recently.
Apart from Saba, the forwardline will also have
vice-captain Jasjeet Kaur Handa, Rani, Anuradha Devi, Chanchan
Devi, Soundarya Yendala and Poonam.
Leaving aside seven forwards, the squad comprise of two
goalkeepers, three defenders and six mid-fielders.
According to a statement, the selectors have also
handpicked four stand-bys in E Rajini (goalkeeper), Vaishali
Sul (defender), Rashmi Singh (forward) and Roselin Dung Dung
The Indian team qualified for the eight-nation event
after winning the FIH Champions Challenge II at Kazan, Russia
Eight teams have been drawn in two pools and the matches
will be conducted on a league-cum-knockout format.
India have been drawn in Pool B alongside Spain,
Azerbaijan and hosts Ireland while Pool A consists of Japan
South Africa, United States and Scotland.
The Indian eves will open their campaign against Ireland
on June 18, followed by matches against Spain (June 19) and
Azerbaijan (June 21).
The semifinals and final of the event will be played on
June 25 and 26.
Goalkeepers: Yogita Bali, Savita.
Defenders: Joydeep Kaur, Jaspreet Kaur, Preeti Sunila
Midfielders: Asunta Lakra, Ritu Rani, Roselind Ralte,
Deepika, Kirandeep Kaur, Mukta Prava Barla.
Forwards: Saba Anjum (captain), Rani, Jasjeet Kaur Handa
(vice-captain), Anuradha Devi, Chanchan Devi, Soundarya
Standbys: E Rajini (goalkeeper), Vaishali Sul (defender)
Rashmi Singh (forward), Roselin Dung Dung (forward)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant