Sabapathy set to become Puducherry Speaker
Puducherry: Ruling All India NR Congress
legislator V Sabapathy alias Kothandaraman is all set to
become the new Speaker of the Puducherry Assembly on Wednesday.
Sabapathy (67) was the only candidate to present his
nomination papers before the Secretary to the Legislative
Assembly M Sivaprakasam, till this noon - the deadline fixed
for submission of the papers. The election to the post was
slated for tomorrow.
Sivaprakasam said a total of six sets of nominations,
including Chief Minister N Rangasamy`s, were presented
proposing Sabapathy`s name to the post.
The pro-tem Speaker T Thiagarajan will formally announce
the unopposed election of Sabapathy as 18th Speaker in the
House when it meets tomorrow, the Secretary said.
Sabapathy, a veteran Congressman, joined AINRC a few
weeks ahead of the Assembly polls and emerged victorious from
Ariyankuppam after defeating Congress nominee T Jayamoorthy.
Rangasamy later told reporters that he was "pleased with
the healthy trend of our party nominee being elected
unopposed. I thank all the opposition parties for ensuring the
unanimous win of Sabapathy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31