Sabapathy set to become Puducherry Speaker
Puducherry: Ruling All India NR Congress
legislator V Sabapathy alias Kothandaraman is all set to
become the new Speaker of the Puducherry Assembly on Wednesday.
Sabapathy (67) was the only candidate to present his
nomination papers before the Secretary to the Legislative
Assembly M Sivaprakasam, till this noon - the deadline fixed
for submission of the papers. The election to the post was
slated for tomorrow.
Sivaprakasam said a total of six sets of nominations,
including Chief Minister N Rangasamy`s, were presented
proposing Sabapathy`s name to the post.
The pro-tem Speaker T Thiagarajan will formally announce
the unopposed election of Sabapathy as 18th Speaker in the
House when it meets tomorrow, the Secretary said.
Sabapathy, a veteran Congressman, joined AINRC a few
weeks ahead of the Assembly polls and emerged victorious from
Ariyankuppam after defeating Congress nominee T Jayamoorthy.
Rangasamy later told reporters that he was "pleased with
the healthy trend of our party nominee being elected
unopposed. I thank all the opposition parties for ensuring the
unanimous win of Sabapathy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why