Sabapathy set to become Puducherry Speaker
Puducherry: Ruling All India NR Congress
legislator V Sabapathy alias Kothandaraman is all set to
become the new Speaker of the Puducherry Assembly on Wednesday.
Sabapathy (67) was the only candidate to present his
nomination papers before the Secretary to the Legislative
Assembly M Sivaprakasam, till this noon - the deadline fixed
for submission of the papers. The election to the post was
slated for tomorrow.
Sivaprakasam said a total of six sets of nominations,
including Chief Minister N Rangasamy`s, were presented
proposing Sabapathy`s name to the post.
The pro-tem Speaker T Thiagarajan will formally announce
the unopposed election of Sabapathy as 18th Speaker in the
House when it meets tomorrow, the Secretary said.
Sabapathy, a veteran Congressman, joined AINRC a few
weeks ahead of the Assembly polls and emerged victorious from
Ariyankuppam after defeating Congress nominee T Jayamoorthy.
Rangasamy later told reporters that he was "pleased with
the healthy trend of our party nominee being elected
unopposed. I thank all the opposition parties for ensuring the
unanimous win of Sabapathy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das