Sabella set to join Maradona on rival Gulf benches
Buenos Aires: Three Argentine coaching heavyweights, including Diego Maradona, could meet in the United Arab Emirates league this year after Alex Sabella said he was set to take charge of Abu Dhabi club Al Jazira.
Former Argentina coach Alfio Basile is also mulling over an undisclosed offer from the UAE while Maradona, his successor at the helm of the national team in 2008, has agreed on a deal to coach Dubai-based Al-Wasl.
Sabella, who was Daniel Passarella`s assistant with Argentina at the 1998 World Cup, made his name as a head coach by steering Estudiantes to the South American Libertadores Cup crown in 2009 and the Argentine Apertura title last December.
"I have a commitment with Al-Jazira and expect to be travelling on Thursday or Friday," Sabella, 56, told a Buenos Aires radio station.
"I spoke to them yesterday (Monday) and I had already had talks on Saturday and it`s all practically settled," said Sabella, set to replace Brazilian Abel Braga who is returning home to Brazilian champions Fluminense on June 12.
Sabella resigned unexpectedly from Estudiantes just before the Clausura championship, second in the Argentine season, was about to start in February.
He was replaced by Eduardo Berizzo, who resigned on Monday following a string of poor results and the club turned to Sabella in the hope he might consider returning but he told them he was on his way to the Gulf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends