Saber-toothed cats may have preyed on early humans
Washington: Scientists have discovered two fearsome species of saber-toothed cats which they believe might once have stalked the early humans.
However, the feline predators might also have proven to be a boon to our ancient relatives who could have scavenged the meat they left behind, said researchers from University of
Poitiers in France.
According to the researchers, the new fossils were uncovered in the vast, flat, windy Djurab desert in northern Chad in central Africa.
This is the place where the earliest member of the human lineage -- the about 7-million-year-old human-like, chimp-like Sahelanthropus tchadensis, nicknamed "Toumai" -- was discovered.
Toumai was discovered alongside the bones of a wide variety of animals -- crocodiles, three-toed horses, fish, monkeys, hippos, aardvarks, turtles, rodents, giraffes, snakes, antelopes and many others.
According to Louis de Bonis, a paleoanthropologist at University of Poitiers, the area was once the shore of a lake, generally forested close to the waters with savannah-like areas too far away, LiveScience reported.
The desert, he recalled, also has snakes and scorpions that researchers must look out for.
Scientists had known one giant species of saber-toothed cat, called Machairodus kabir, also lived there and was the largest predator of that area. Weighing between 350 and 490kg, the giant feline predators outweighed the largest living cat, the tiger, which can reach up to 660 pounds or 300 kg.
Now, researchers have unearthed two more saber-toothed cat species there -- a roughly lion-sized member of the genus Lokotunjailurus, or scimitar-toothed cats, and a leopard-sized member of the genus Megantereon, or dirk-toothed cats.
It`s surprising to find three different kinds of saber-toothed cats in one area, de Bonis said, meaning that prey must have been numerous ? a "lost paradise for carnivores", he told LiveScience.
Hominids such as Toumai could have been prey for these predators, he added.
Still, another possibility is that antelopes and other large victims these saber-toothed cats brought down could have left behind large amounts of flesh to feed our distant relatives, de Bonis suggested.
These fossils also revealed interesting clues about the origin and behaviour of saber-toothed cats. For instance, Lokotunjailurus was only known in East Africa, meaning that scimitar-toothed cats are now known found at least 1,550 miles (2,500km) from their original known locale.
Also, Megantereon was thought to perhaps originate in North America and later dispersed to the Old World, but this ancient specimen suggests it originated in the Old World and later migrated to the New World.
The findings are published online in the journal Comptes Rendus Palevol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28