Sachin slapped with notice for car cess evasion
Mumbai: Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar has been served a notice by the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation for non-payment of cess on a luxury car purchased by him.
The list of people who have been served the notice include other well known names like singer composer Shankar Mahadevan and Governor of Tripura Dr. D.Y. patil.
"We found that we have not received cess on over one lakh vehicles that are registered at the Navi Mumbai RTO. We got the addresses of the owners and have sent them legal notices," said Mahavir Pendhari, NMMC`s deputy municipal commissioner (Cess).
A cess is a form of octroi tax and has the advantage of the payer not having to pay up at every octroi post like in other cases.
In order to save money, the rich and the famous buy cars from Navi Mumbai region, which only levies a cess of 1%, unlike the steep 5.5% octroi charged on car sales in Mumbai region. Even then, they do not pay the cess valid on such purchases," an NMMC official was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth