Sachin slapped with notice for car cess evasion
Mumbai: Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar has been served a notice by the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation for non-payment of cess on a luxury car purchased by him.
The list of people who have been served the notice include other well known names like singer composer Shankar Mahadevan and Governor of Tripura Dr. D.Y. patil.
"We found that we have not received cess on over one lakh vehicles that are registered at the Navi Mumbai RTO. We got the addresses of the owners and have sent them legal notices," said Mahavir Pendhari, NMMC`s deputy municipal commissioner (Cess).
A cess is a form of octroi tax and has the advantage of the payer not having to pay up at every octroi post like in other cases.
In order to save money, the rich and the famous buy cars from Navi Mumbai region, which only levies a cess of 1%, unlike the steep 5.5% octroi charged on car sales in Mumbai region. Even then, they do not pay the cess valid on such purchases," an NMMC official was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!