Sachin slapped with notice for car cess evasion
Mumbai: Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar has been served a notice by the Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation for non-payment of cess on a luxury car purchased by him.
The list of people who have been served the notice include other well known names like singer composer Shankar Mahadevan and Governor of Tripura Dr. D.Y. patil.
"We found that we have not received cess on over one lakh vehicles that are registered at the Navi Mumbai RTO. We got the addresses of the owners and have sent them legal notices," said Mahavir Pendhari, NMMC`s deputy municipal commissioner (Cess).
A cess is a form of octroi tax and has the advantage of the payer not having to pay up at every octroi post like in other cases.
In order to save money, the rich and the famous buy cars from Navi Mumbai region, which only levies a cess of 1%, unlike the steep 5.5% octroi charged on car sales in Mumbai region. Even then, they do not pay the cess valid on such purchases," an NMMC official was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt