Safina reclaims world number one spot on eve of Doha
London: Russian Dinara Safina reclaimed first place in the WTA world rankings on Monday, edging back in front of Serena Williams on the eve of the season-ending Tour Championships in Doha.
Safina, who went to the top of the rankings in April but was overtaken by Williams earlier this month after an early exit in Beijing, will end the year as number one if she out-performs Williams this week.
With just 155 points separating the two players in the list published on Monday the destiny of the year-end number one ranking could not be closer, especially as hundreds of points are up for grabs in Doha, even for victories in the round-robin stage.
Williams, who has 11 grand slam titles to Safina`s none, is looking to finish the year as the world`s number one player for the first time since 2002.
Denmark`s Caroline Wozniacki, the surprise US Open finalist, reached a career-high fourth in the rankings.
Wozniacki`s preparations for Doha have been overshadowed by a likely WTA investigation into her retirement from last week`s tournament in Luxembourg where she quit against Anne Kremer with an injury while leading 7-5 5-0.
The 19-year-old, who injured herself at 3-0 in the second set, said afterwards that she retired to allow her opponent to play in the next round as she would have been unable to play another match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Gold price hits 2-week low on US rate hike prospects
- Envy at workplace may hamper your productivity
- Sent email to the wrong person? Know how to recall email on Gmail's Undo Send feature
- Shabir Choudhry rejects UN Secy Gen's letter to Pak PM as ''unimpressive''
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside