SAG Marathon ends seven kms short of official distance
Dhaka: The men`s full marathon event on the
concluding day of the 11th South Asian Games turned into a
farce as the official distance of 42.195km was not adhered for
The medal ceremony was held with gold to Nepal`s Rajendra
Bahadur Bhandari, silver to Sri Lanka`s Ajith Bandara Adikari
and bronze to India`s Ram Singh.
But soon after the bizzare, sub-two hour timings were
withheld with Sri Lanka lodging an official complaint.
"The full marathon which should have been actually
42.195kms was shorter by seven kilometres. Having seen the
record sub two-hour timing we lodged a protest paying USD
100," said a Sri Lankan technical official.
Five runners in total competed in the men`s full marathon
which was flagged off early in the morning today.
But the jury is yet to give a final verdict, even as the
medals have been given to the top three finishers.
When asked about this, the secretary general of
Bangladesh Olympic Association, Kutubuddin Ahmed found himself
in a difficult position to explain as he only said: "We are
looking into the complaint. We will come back with answers
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- China, North Korea envoys hold talks in Laos
- If Narsingh Yadav is found guilty, Sushil Kumar cannot replace him for Rio Olympics – Here's why!
- Rohit Bal's fusion of bling and royalty draws curtain on India Couture Week
- Watch 'Kala Chashma' teaser: Check out Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra's desi swag
- Navjot Singh Sidhu says he quit Rajya Sabha because he was told to stay away from Punjab