SAIL may cut steel prices soon
New Delhi: State-run steel maker SAIL on Thursday said it may cut prices of some of its products in near future.
The company last week had raised prices of flat and long
products by Rs 1,500.
"Since long steel product prices have gone up to a certain level, there may be some correction in the category in near future," SAIL Chairman SK Roongta said when asked if the company will revise prices of its products soon.
Long steel products are mainly consumed by construction
and infrastructure sectors.
It is learnt that the Steel Ministry had also expressed concerns on increase in steel prices by domestic firms, including SAIL and Tata Steel, which own captive reserves of iron ore and coking coal.
Many steel firms had cited increase in input cost besides
the demand surge for price increase. Iron ore prices, which
had fallen below USD 50 a tonne last year, are hovering at
USD 100 a tonne at present.
However, Roongta said, "Input cost does not determine
steel prices. Its market fundamentals which decides prices."
On prices of flat steel products, which are primarily
consumed by automobile and consumer durables industries, he
said, "Prices are governed by international trend and
internationally prices are rising."
Roongta, who is also head of special purpose vehicle
International Coal Ventures formed to acquire coal properties
abroad, said, "We are making all efforts to acquire property."
ICVL is looking at mining properties in countries like
Australia, South Africa, the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'