SAIL-NMDC to jointly mine limestone in HP at Rs 200 crore
New Delhi: Two top PSUs under the steel ministry -- SAIL and NMDC -- have agreed to jointly develop and mine Arki limestone reserves in Himachal Pradesh with an estimated investment of Rs 200 crore.
"We will sign an MoU with SAIL for jointly developing and mining high-grade limestone from Arki reserves in the state.
This will entail an estimated investment of Rs 200 crore," NMDC Chairman and Managing Director Rana Som told a news agency.
Som, however, did not say when the MoU could be signed
and when do the PSUs want to start mining.
Arki mines, which are in the home-state of Steel
Minister Virbhadra Singh, have an estimated reserves of 200
million tonnes of limestone.
Asked if the agreement between the two firms could be
signed shortly, SAIL Chairman S K Roongta said, "as of now, it
has been decided that an MoU will be signed with NMDC to mine
However, it is learnt that the ministry wants the PSUs
to start the development work on the mines at the earliest.
The Arki limestone is steel-grade limestone used in the
process of making steel. And SAIL is a ready consumer as it is
undertaking Rs 70,000 expansion project to take its annual
steel production capacity to about 23 million tonnes from
about 14 million tonnes at present.
The limestone fines could also be sold to the cement
industry for which it is a vital input.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video