SAIL-NMDC to jointly mine limestone in HP at Rs 200 crore
New Delhi: Two top PSUs under the steel ministry -- SAIL and NMDC -- have agreed to jointly develop and mine Arki limestone reserves in Himachal Pradesh with an estimated investment of Rs 200 crore.
"We will sign an MoU with SAIL for jointly developing and mining high-grade limestone from Arki reserves in the state.
This will entail an estimated investment of Rs 200 crore," NMDC Chairman and Managing Director Rana Som told a news agency.
Som, however, did not say when the MoU could be signed
and when do the PSUs want to start mining.
Arki mines, which are in the home-state of Steel
Minister Virbhadra Singh, have an estimated reserves of 200
million tonnes of limestone.
Asked if the agreement between the two firms could be
signed shortly, SAIL Chairman S K Roongta said, "as of now, it
has been decided that an MoU will be signed with NMDC to mine
However, it is learnt that the ministry wants the PSUs
to start the development work on the mines at the earliest.
The Arki limestone is steel-grade limestone used in the
process of making steel. And SAIL is a ready consumer as it is
undertaking Rs 70,000 expansion project to take its annual
steel production capacity to about 23 million tonnes from
about 14 million tonnes at present.
The limestone fines could also be sold to the cement
industry for which it is a vital input.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter