Saina enters second round of Malaysia Open
New Delhi: India`s Saina Nehwal got the better of Jiayuan Chen of Singapore 21-16, 21-12 to enter into the second round of the women`s singles in the Malaysia Open
Grand Prix Gold at Alor Setar on Wednesday.
Putting behind the disappointment of the shock first-round loss at last week`s India Open Super Series, Saina got off to a positive start when she comprehensively defeated her opponent.
Top seed Saina will now face Japan`s Ayane Kurihara in the second round.
She is now the only Indian left in the tournament as the rest of the six Indian men - Parupalli Kashyap, Gurusai Datt, Ajay Jayaram, Anup Sridhar, Arvind Bhat and Anand Pawar – have all lost their matches.
Kashyap, seeded 12th, who defeated Malaysian Chong Chieh Lok 22-20, 21-7 in the first round, however, lost to Brice Leverdez of France 21-17, 15-21, 18-21.
Bhat outplayed Hong Kong`s Yun Lung Kuan 21-14, 21-19 before losing to Japan`s Sho Sasaki 21-13, 20-22, 15-21, while Sridhar, who beat eighth seed Malaysian Choong Hann Wong 21-15, 21-15, went down to Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro 18-21, 7-21 in the second round.
Guru Sai Dutt, who made it to the quarterfinals of the India Open Super Series, posed a tough fight to Beryno Jiann Tze Wong France before going down 21-19, 21-23, 18-21.
The third seed Tien Minh Nguyen 21-10, 7-21, 16-21 defeated India`s Anand Pawar and Ajay Jayram went down to ninth seed Hyun Il Lee of South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!