Saina falters in finals, ends runner-up in Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur: Star Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal faltered after a good start as she lost to world number three Xin Wang of China in the finals to finish runner-up in the Malaysian Open Grand Prix Gold Badminton tournament on Sunday.
The world number four and top seed Indian, playing with a taped-up ankle, lost 21-13, 8-21, 14-21 in a 48-minute contest against her second-seeded rival.
Saina ran away with the opening game in just 15 minutes with eight smash winners and better net-play but the momentum swung immediately after that as Asian Games gold-medallist Wang roared back into the match.
The Chinese, who finished runner-up here two years ago, clinched seven points in a row in the second game to equalise.
She was dominant in the deciding third game as well, leading 11-7, before Saina clawed her way back to make it 14-14.
But Wang went on to once again win seven points on the trot to close the issue in her favour.
Interestingly, Wang has had the better of Saina in their previous two encounters as well -- both of which incidentally happened in Malaysia.
The loss marks an end to Saina`s hundred per cent record in the finals of her senior career. She had won all 17 finals she played in before Sunday.
The 21-year-old had made a shock first-round exit at the Indian Open Super Series last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands