Saina, Jwala-Diju lose in French Super Series quarterfinal
New Delhi: Indian challenge ended in the
French Super Series badminton tournament after Saina Nehwal
and the mixed doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and V Diju crashed
out with respective quarterfinal defeats in Paris.
Eighth seed Saina squandered a first-game lead to go down
to top seed Chinese Wang Lin 21-15 11-21 15-21 in a 49-minute
hard fought battle in women`s singles yesterday.
The sixth seeded Indian pair of Jwala and Diju also
played their heart out before going down to the Indonesian
combo of Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir 21-6 20-22 10-21 in
Saina played better at the nets but she couldn`t
negotiate the powerful smashes of her opponent, who scored 14
points compared to the Indian`s nine.
In the first game, Saina opened a 5-0 lead and pushed Lin
to the back foot who was left to do the catch up act till the
However, the Chinese bounced back in the second game and
first opened a 3-0 lead and then widened it from 3-2 to 10-2
before pocketing the game.
In the decider, the Hyderabadi failed to raise her game
and after being tied 2-2, Lin moved ahead as Saina`s game
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO