Saina loses but Jwala-Ashwini keep India in hunt in Korea
New Delhi: Indian women doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa kept India`s tri-colour fluttering in the Korean Open but it was curtains for Saina Nehwal and P Kashyap in the singles category of the Super Series tournament in Seoul.
Saina made a disappointing return from injury as she suffered a shock defeat at the hands of Japanese Sayaka Sato in the second round.
The world number four Indian, who looked rusty in her first round match against Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei yesterday, lost 21-17, 19-21, 11-21 to Sayaka in 53 minutes in the women`s singles.
P Kashyap also became a second round casualty after losing 16-21, 13-21 to third seed Peter Hoeg Gade of Denmark in 38 minutes in men`s singles.
Jwala Gutta and V Diju also tasted defeat at the hands of sixth seeded Chinese pair of Tao Jiaming and Qing Tian, losing 16-21, 13-21 within half an hour in the mixed doubles category.
Commonwealth gold medallist pair of Jwala and Ashwini, however, made sure that Indian camp had something to cheer about by reaching the third round with a 21-18, 14-21, 21-15 win over Mizuki Fujii and Reika Kakiiwa.
Saina, who missed on-court action for more than a month due to a ligament injury in her right knee, relied on her powerful smashes but Sayato played better at the nets to run away with the match.
The 20-year-old Indian had her nose ahead after the first game, which she won 21-17 but Sayato bounced back after wresting the second game at 21-19 and then kept the pressure on Saina, whose game crumbled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India