Saina meets Eriko in revenge match in Swiss Open
New Delhi: Birthday girl Saina Nehwal
overcame a spirited challenge from French qualifier Sashina
Vignes Waran to set up a second-round clash with Japanese
Eriko Hirose in the Wilson Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold in
World number four Saina, who turned 21 today, shrugged
off initial jittery to notch up a 23-21, 21-9 victory over
Sashina in her campaign opener in the women`s singles last
The second seed Indian will now clash with Eriko, who had
spoilt her campaign in the All England Championships last week
with a straight-game defeat in the quarterfinals in
Eriko, meanwhile, beat Judith Meulendijks of the
Netherlands in the first round of the Swiss Open.
In the men`s singles, Ajay Jayaram will take on 16th seed
Hans-Kristian Vittinghus of Denmark in the third round after
notching up a hard-fought 22-20, 22-20 win over Yuhan Tan of
Belgium in the second round.
Anand Pawar, however, lost to fifth seed Wan Ho Shon of
Korea 21-17, 15-21, 18-21.
India`s number one P Kashyap had become a first round
casualty after losing 21-10, 19-21, 19-21 to Sven Eric Kastens
of Germany on the opening day.
Commonwealth Games gold medallists pair of Jwala Gutta
and Ashwini Ponnappa will take on seventh seeds Japanese combo
of Shizuka Matsuo and Mami Naito in the second round after
beating Germany duo of Johanna Goliszewski and Carla Nelte
However, Jwala and V Diju could not conjure up the same
magic and lost to eighth seeded Korean pair of Yong Dae Lee
and Jung Eun Ha 14-21, 9-21 in the second round.
In men`s doubles category, Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas
beat Michael Fuchs and Oliver Roth 21-19. 21-16 and will take
on sixth seeds Mads Conrad-Petersen and Jonas Rasmussen of
Denmark in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons
- Gunmen kill at least eight in Munich shopping mall, shooters on the run