Saina Nehwal down with chickenpox
New Delhi: India’s ace shuttler Saina Nehwal’s World Championships campaign suffered a setback as bad health took toll on her preparations. She has been contracted with chickenpox.
The news was confirmed by her coach Pullela Gopichand and he added that she would be fit for the World Championships.
Her father Harvir Singh Nehwal also expressed hope that the gutsy shuttler would gain complete fitness before the tournament since she has been in good form this year and the title in the upcoming Championships would do justice to her hard work.
Saina, who won the Arjuna Award yesterday, has been suffering from mild fever since Saturday and it was only yesterday that she was diagnosed with chicken pox and was advised complete bed rest for the next few days.
"I have been suffering from fever since Saturday but it`s yesterday that I saw some pockmarks appearing on the skin. Initially I thought it must be pimples or boils but in the last couple of days some more pockmarks developed and I had this itchy feeling," Saina told reporters from Hyderabad.
"So we decided to see the doctor, who confirmed that I have chicken pox. I have been advised complete rest for the next 4-5 days and then see how it goes," she said.
"It is very disappointing and shocking for me as the World Championship is just round the corner. But there are no immediate concerns about my participation in the tournament as of now. I will visit the doctor after a few days and then take a call," added Saina.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test