Saina storms into All England quarters
Birmingham: Title contender Indian shuttler
Saina Nehwal stormed into the quarterfinals of the All England
Badminton Championships women`s single competition with a
straight-set victory over her Chinese Taipei opponent here.
Saina, seeded fifth in the prestigious tournament, beat
unseeded Tzu Ying Tai 21-17, 21-17 in a second round match that
lasted 30 minutes.
In the quarterfinals, she will meet Eriko Hirose of Japan
who beat Salakjit Ponsana of Thailand 21-13, 18-21, 21-13 in
another round two match last night.
Saina dominated her rival at the nets and in smashes and
in both the sets she was the one who made the final flourish
after a stiff contest.
The first set saw neck-on-neck tussle between the two as
they were 8-8 and then 14-14. But after that, Saina won five
consecutive points to race to 19-14 before taking the set.
In the second set also, there was a stiff fight from the
Chinese Taipei player and the two were locked 17-17 before
Saina took four consecutive points to wrap up the match.
Saina now remained the only Indian shuttler left in the
tournament as all her compatriots have already crashed out.
In the mixed doubles, V Diju and Jwala Gutta lost to
fifth seeded Chinese pair of Tao Jiaming and Qing Tian 11-21
12-21 in a round two match.
In the women`s doubles also, Indian duo of Gutta and
Ashiwni Ponnappa suffered heartbreak as they lost to Denmark`s
Line Damkjaer Kruse and Marie Roepke 17-21, 21-19, 21-18 in a
hard-fought second round match that lasted 53 minutes.
In the men`s doubles, Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas lost
to eighth seeded Indonesian pair of Mohammad Ahsan and Bona
Septano 16-21, 16-21 in the second round.
In men`s singles, P Kashyap, Anand Pawar and Ajay Jayaram
had already crashed out of the tournament in the first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi