Samaleswari Sporting beat Kishore Club 1-0
Sambalpur: Samaleswari Sporting, Sambalpur pipped Kishore Club of Bhubaneswar 1-0 in the inaugural match of the 4th All India Sambalpur Cup Football championship at the VSS Stadium.
Both the teams were goalless at the interval.
Gokul Oram of the hosts scored the solitary goal at 88 minute igniting jubilation among the capacity crowd.
Displaying superb skills, both the teams fought hard to find the nets till the 88th minute of the match which almost appeared that the tie-breaker could be necessitated to end the dead-lock.
However, Oram grabbed an opportunity offered by Jasen Majhi and romped home the goal sealing the fate of the opposition.
The hosts had squandered at least three opportunities against the loser`s four chances.
Altogether 10 reputed football teams from across the country are participating in the IFA approved championship jointly organised by the District Athletic Association and Samaleswari Sporting Club.
Amity United of Gurgaon are the defending champions in the tourney while Army XI, Bangalore are the runners-up.
The final will be played on November 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday