Samaleswari Sporting beat Kishore Club 1-0
Sambalpur: Samaleswari Sporting, Sambalpur pipped Kishore Club of Bhubaneswar 1-0 in the inaugural match of the 4th All India Sambalpur Cup Football championship at the VSS Stadium.
Both the teams were goalless at the interval.
Gokul Oram of the hosts scored the solitary goal at 88 minute igniting jubilation among the capacity crowd.
Displaying superb skills, both the teams fought hard to find the nets till the 88th minute of the match which almost appeared that the tie-breaker could be necessitated to end the dead-lock.
However, Oram grabbed an opportunity offered by Jasen Majhi and romped home the goal sealing the fate of the opposition.
The hosts had squandered at least three opportunities against the loser`s four chances.
Altogether 10 reputed football teams from across the country are participating in the IFA approved championship jointly organised by the District Athletic Association and Samaleswari Sporting Club.
Amity United of Gurgaon are the defending champions in the tourney while Army XI, Bangalore are the runners-up.
The final will be played on November 8.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...