Samsung seeks sales ban on Apple iPhone 5
Seoul: South Korea`s Samsung Electronics will file lawsuits to try to block the sale of Apple`s iPhone 5 as part of its global legal tussle with the US technology giant, a report said Tuesday.
The two firms are at loggerheads in a series of patent lawsuits over the technology and design of their smartphones and tablet computers.
Maeil Business Newspaper cited a Samsung official as saying the firm would "strategically" launch the legal actions as Apple was expected to start selling the much-anticipated smartphone next month.
"We have not yet decided whether to launch the suits in South Korea or in a third country," the unidentified official was quoted as saying.
It was unclear whether Samsung would seek a sales ban only in South Korea or internationally. A Samsung Electronics spokesman declined to comment.
Apple has accused Samsung of "slavishly" copying the technology and designs of its market-leading iPhone and iPad.
It has filed complaints in countries including Germany and Australia, seeking a ban on sales of Samsung`s Galaxy S and Galaxy Tab.
Samsung, the world`s biggest memory chip maker and the number two mobile phone maker after Nokia, has launched counter-suits claiming its US rival infringed its wireless technology patents.
The Suwon-based company earlier this month was forced to withdraw its new tablet PC from a major electronics fair in Berlin after a German court approved a request from Apple to ban sales and marketing.
Samsung however vowed to appeal, saying it would actively take "all available measures, including legal options" to defend its presence in the European market.
The company said last week it had filed complaints in France against Apple alleging infringement of three mobile phone technology patents in the US firm`s iPhone and iPad.
The complaint was filed before a Paris district court in July and the first hearing is expected in December.
Despite their legal battles, Apple is one of the biggest customers for Samsung`s chips and display screens.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed