S&P assigns `BBB` to Wipro on better financial health
New Delhi: Global rating agency Standard
& Poor’s (S&P) on Monday assigned its `BBB` corporate credit
rating to Wipro Ltd, the country`s third largest software
exporter, implying better financial health and cost
"We have rated Wipro higher than India`s sovereign rating
(BBB-/Negative/A-3) because we believe the company would be
able to service its debt even if the sovereign defaults on its
obligation," S&P said in a statement.
The rating, which falls under investment grade, reflects
S&P`s view of the company`s modest financial risk profile,
superior cost efficiency, relatively weak business profile of
the company`s non-IT service business, and exposure to foreign
exchange fluctuations, it said.
Wipro also has other businesses including consumer
care, lighting and infrastructure.
For the year ended March 31, 2009, the IT services
contributed about 75 percent to Wipro`s total revenues of
USD five billion.
"Wipro’s IT service business has a competitive advantage
from its experience of operating global delivery models with a
majority of the workforce based in low cost countries,
especially India," said Standard & Poor`s credit analyst,
managing director – Corporate & Government Ratings, South and
South East Asia, Suzanne Smith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday