S&P assigns `BBB` to Wipro on better financial health
New Delhi: Global rating agency Standard
& Poor’s (S&P) on Monday assigned its `BBB` corporate credit
rating to Wipro Ltd, the country`s third largest software
exporter, implying better financial health and cost
"We have rated Wipro higher than India`s sovereign rating
(BBB-/Negative/A-3) because we believe the company would be
able to service its debt even if the sovereign defaults on its
obligation," S&P said in a statement.
The rating, which falls under investment grade, reflects
S&P`s view of the company`s modest financial risk profile,
superior cost efficiency, relatively weak business profile of
the company`s non-IT service business, and exposure to foreign
exchange fluctuations, it said.
Wipro also has other businesses including consumer
care, lighting and infrastructure.
For the year ended March 31, 2009, the IT services
contributed about 75 percent to Wipro`s total revenues of
USD five billion.
"Wipro’s IT service business has a competitive advantage
from its experience of operating global delivery models with a
majority of the workforce based in low cost countries,
especially India," said Standard & Poor`s credit analyst,
managing director – Corporate & Government Ratings, South and
South East Asia, Suzanne Smith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj