S&P assigns `BBB` to Wipro on better financial health
New Delhi: Global rating agency Standard
& Poor’s (S&P) on Monday assigned its `BBB` corporate credit
rating to Wipro Ltd, the country`s third largest software
exporter, implying better financial health and cost
"We have rated Wipro higher than India`s sovereign rating
(BBB-/Negative/A-3) because we believe the company would be
able to service its debt even if the sovereign defaults on its
obligation," S&P said in a statement.
The rating, which falls under investment grade, reflects
S&P`s view of the company`s modest financial risk profile,
superior cost efficiency, relatively weak business profile of
the company`s non-IT service business, and exposure to foreign
exchange fluctuations, it said.
Wipro also has other businesses including consumer
care, lighting and infrastructure.
For the year ended March 31, 2009, the IT services
contributed about 75 percent to Wipro`s total revenues of
USD five billion.
"Wipro’s IT service business has a competitive advantage
from its experience of operating global delivery models with a
majority of the workforce based in low cost countries,
especially India," said Standard & Poor`s credit analyst,
managing director – Corporate & Government Ratings, South and
South East Asia, Suzanne Smith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America