Sania, Bopanna advance to third round of French Open
Paris: It turned out to be a good day for Indians in the French Open tennis Friday with both Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna advancing to the third round of women`s and men`s doubles.
Seventh-seeded pair of Sania and Elena Vesnina of Russia defeated Kristina Barrois of Germany and Johanna Larsson of Sweden 7-6(4), 6-3. They now await the winner of the match between two Spanish pairs, 11th-seeded Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez and Anabel Medina Garrigues, and Lourdes Dominguez Lino and Laura Pous-Tio.
In the men`s doubles, Bopanna and Pakistan`s Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi, seeded fifth fought back from a set down for a 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-4 win over Maximo Gonzalez of Argentina and Japan`s Kei Nishikori.
They next play Andrey Golubev of Kazakhstan and Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion