Sania climbs 17 places, Somdev drops one
New Delhi: India`s Sania Mirza jumped 17 places to 73 in the women`s singles rankings while Somdev Devvarman slipped a spot in the men`s singles rankings, released Monday.
Sania last week reached the quarterfinals in a Women`s Tennis Association (WTA) Tour event at Charleston after three-and-a-half years.
She continued her good form in the doubles also where she along with Russian Elena Vesnina clinched the doubles title. The Indian gained four places to reach 29 in the doubles.
In the men`s singles, Somdev, who touched a career-high ranking in singles last week, is at 72nd position.
In the men`s doubles, Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi are unchanged at seventh and fifth place while Rohan Bopanna has dropped a place to 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- No scientific evidence proves Farakka Dam caused Bihar floods: Sushil Kumar Modi
- Ram Vilas Paswan favours ban on sugar futures
- Turkey has shown no evidence of Gulen coup role: US
- At least 73 dead as pre-dawn earthquake hits central Italy
- FC Pune City rope in ex-Chelsea, Barcelona forward Eidur Gudjohnsen