Sania-Elena in quarter-finals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her partner Elena Vesnina pulled off a big upset by ousting second seeds and strong contenders Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymonds from the Family Circle Cup with a straight-set win.
The unseeded but in-form Indo-Russian pair shocked the local favourites 6-3 6-4 in the first round of the USD 721,000 WTA hard court tournament.
The Sania-Elena pair saved eight break chances, including five in the second set, when the Americans upped the intensity in a bid to stay in the match.
In the quarter-finals, they will take on the Russian-Australian combination of Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova.
In the singles, Sania is set to clash with German wildcard Sabine Lisicki, who shocked fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-3 in her seccond round match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Cancer: Early warning signs you shouldn't ignore!