Sania-Elena in quarter-finals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her partner Elena Vesnina pulled off a big upset by ousting second seeds and strong contenders Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymonds from the Family Circle Cup with a straight-set win.
The unseeded but in-form Indo-Russian pair shocked the local favourites 6-3 6-4 in the first round of the USD 721,000 WTA hard court tournament.
The Sania-Elena pair saved eight break chances, including five in the second set, when the Americans upped the intensity in a bid to stay in the match.
In the quarter-finals, they will take on the Russian-Australian combination of Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova.
In the singles, Sania is set to clash with German wildcard Sabine Lisicki, who shocked fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-3 in her seccond round match.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler