Sania-Elena in quarter-finals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her partner Elena Vesnina pulled off a big upset by ousting second seeds and strong contenders Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymonds from the Family Circle Cup with a straight-set win.
The unseeded but in-form Indo-Russian pair shocked the local favourites 6-3 6-4 in the first round of the USD 721,000 WTA hard court tournament.
The Sania-Elena pair saved eight break chances, including five in the second set, when the Americans upped the intensity in a bid to stay in the match.
In the quarter-finals, they will take on the Russian-Australian combination of Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova.
In the singles, Sania is set to clash with German wildcard Sabine Lisicki, who shocked fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-3 in her seccond round match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`