Sania-Elena in quarter-finals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her partner Elena Vesnina pulled off a big upset by ousting second seeds and strong contenders Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymonds from the Family Circle Cup with a straight-set win.
The unseeded but in-form Indo-Russian pair shocked the local favourites 6-3 6-4 in the first round of the USD 721,000 WTA hard court tournament.
The Sania-Elena pair saved eight break chances, including five in the second set, when the Americans upped the intensity in a bid to stay in the match.
In the quarter-finals, they will take on the Russian-Australian combination of Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova.
In the singles, Sania is set to clash with German wildcard Sabine Lisicki, who shocked fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-3 in her seccond round match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Kabali' mints $2 mn from North America premieres
- Delhi Police on terrorists' radar
- India vs West Indies: Satisfied to score double ton after forgettable debut, says Virat Kohli
- FIR lodged over beating of two Dalits in Bihar's Muzaffarpur
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits