Sania-Elena in quarter-finals of Charleston WTA event
Charleston: Sania Mirza and her partner Elena Vesnina pulled off a big upset by ousting second seeds and strong contenders Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymonds from the Family Circle Cup with a straight-set win.
The unseeded but in-form Indo-Russian pair shocked the local favourites 6-3 6-4 in the first round of the USD 721,000 WTA hard court tournament.
The Sania-Elena pair saved eight break chances, including five in the second set, when the Americans upped the intensity in a bid to stay in the match.
In the quarter-finals, they will take on the Russian-Australian combination of Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova.
In the singles, Sania is set to clash with German wildcard Sabine Lisicki, who shocked fourth seed Marion Bartoli of France 6-2 6-3 in her seccond round match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui