Sania enters second round in French open
Paris: Desperate to improve her Grand Slam record, Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza began her French Open campaign with an impressive 6-3 6-3 win over Kristina Barrois in the women`s singles, on Monday.
World number 72 Sania, who has never moved beyond the second round here, put up a clinical performance against the German, who enjoyed a career-best ranking of 57, a couple of weeks back but has now slumped to 73.
Sania, whose left leg was strapped just below the knee, completed the win with a backhand winner after an hour and 15 minutes on court number six.
Sania has not been able to cross the second round hurdle in the Grand Slams since 2009 and the fourth round appearance in the US Open in 2005 remains her best performance.
She will next face either 12th seed Polish Agnieszka Radwanska or Austria`s Patricia Mayr-Achleitner.
The clay court surface is not of the liking of Sania but the Indian looked quite comfortable against her opponent and played with a lot of confidence.
Sania played aggressively and thus committed a lot of unforced errors and also struggled with first serve but the overall game was so dominating that Kristina had no clue how to stop the Indian.
In all, Sania hit 28 winners to 10 of Kristina but seven doubles faults compared to three of the German blemished her scorecard.
A break of serve in the fourth game put Sania ahead 3-1 and after saving two breakpoints in the next game, the Indian had no difficulty in pocketing the first set.
Sania went for her shots and some of the forehand winners were outstanding. She hit 13 winners to three of Kristina in the 34-minute opening-set.
After both the players saved a breakpoint each at the start of the second set, again it was Sania, who grabbed the lead by breaking her rival in the third game.
They traded breaks in the sixth and seventh games. After saving two breakpoints in the eighth game, Sania broke Kristina for the final time in the next game to seal a place in the second round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?