Sania fails to make main draw at Cincinnati
New York: Sania Mirza failed to make the main draw of the WTA Premier event in Cincinnati after going down tamely to local wild card entrant Alexa Glatch in straight sets in the second and final round of the qualifiers.
Sania, ranked 65 on the WTA charts, lost 2-6 4-6 to the 151st ranked Glatch yesterday to bow out of the USD 2,050,000 hard court event.
Sania, a semifinalist here four years ago, thus failed to make the cut into the main draw of the singles event for the second successive year.
Sania had battled past former doubles partner Vania King of the USA in the first round of the qualifiers on Saturday.
India will be without any player in the singles event after Somdev Devvarman`s main draw hopes came to a premature end on Saturday following a straight set defeat in the ATP Masters tournament.
In the ATP event, running simultaneously, 65th ranked Somdev bowed out of the qualifiers after losing his first round match 4-6 6-7(3) to Turkey`s Marsel Ilhan, ranked 108th in the charts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing