Sania fails to make main draw at Cincinnati
New York: Sania Mirza failed to make the main draw of the WTA Premier event in Cincinnati after going down tamely to local wild card entrant Alexa Glatch in straight sets in the second and final round of the qualifiers.
Sania, ranked 65 on the WTA charts, lost 2-6 4-6 to the 151st ranked Glatch yesterday to bow out of the USD 2,050,000 hard court event.
Sania, a semifinalist here four years ago, thus failed to make the cut into the main draw of the singles event for the second successive year.
Sania had battled past former doubles partner Vania King of the USA in the first round of the qualifiers on Saturday.
India will be without any player in the singles event after Somdev Devvarman`s main draw hopes came to a premature end on Saturday following a straight set defeat in the ATP Masters tournament.
In the ATP event, running simultaneously, 65th ranked Somdev bowed out of the qualifiers after losing his first round match 4-6 6-7(3) to Turkey`s Marsel Ilhan, ranked 108th in the charts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official