Sania fails to make main draw at Cincinnati
New York: Sania Mirza failed to make the main draw of the WTA Premier event in Cincinnati after going down tamely to local wild card entrant Alexa Glatch in straight sets in the second and final round of the qualifiers.
Sania, ranked 65 on the WTA charts, lost 2-6 4-6 to the 151st ranked Glatch yesterday to bow out of the USD 2,050,000 hard court event.
Sania, a semifinalist here four years ago, thus failed to make the cut into the main draw of the singles event for the second successive year.
Sania had battled past former doubles partner Vania King of the USA in the first round of the qualifiers on Saturday.
India will be without any player in the singles event after Somdev Devvarman`s main draw hopes came to a premature end on Saturday following a straight set defeat in the ATP Masters tournament.
In the ATP event, running simultaneously, 65th ranked Somdev bowed out of the qualifiers after losing his first round match 4-6 6-7(3) to Turkey`s Marsel Ilhan, ranked 108th in the charts.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview
- Draft Bill for statehood of Delhi is ready: CM Arvind Kejriwal
- China, Japan foreign ministers hold rare talks to reduce mistrust in ties