Sania fails to make main draw at Cincinnati
New York: Sania Mirza failed to make the main draw of the WTA Premier event in Cincinnati after going down tamely to local wild card entrant Alexa Glatch in straight sets in the second and final round of the qualifiers.
Sania, ranked 65 on the WTA charts, lost 2-6 4-6 to the 151st ranked Glatch yesterday to bow out of the USD 2,050,000 hard court event.
Sania, a semifinalist here four years ago, thus failed to make the cut into the main draw of the singles event for the second successive year.
Sania had battled past former doubles partner Vania King of the USA in the first round of the qualifiers on Saturday.
India will be without any player in the singles event after Somdev Devvarman`s main draw hopes came to a premature end on Saturday following a straight set defeat in the ATP Masters tournament.
In the ATP event, running simultaneously, 65th ranked Somdev bowed out of the qualifiers after losing his first round match 4-6 6-7(3) to Turkey`s Marsel Ilhan, ranked 108th in the charts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij