Sania in quarterfinals of Family Circle Cup
Charleston: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza advanced to the quarterfinals of the Family Circle Cup WTA tournament here with a straight-set victory over Sabine Lisicki of Germany.
Sania, who made it to the main draw through the qualifying rounds, beat the German wild card entrant 6-4, 6-4 in the second round singles match of the USD 721,000 prize money clay court event.
She will now meet 11th seed Shuai Peng of China in the quarterfinals. Peng had upset seventh seed Russian Nadia Petrova 6-3 5-7 6-2 in another second round match. Sania has also reached the quarterfinals in the doubles with her partner Elena Vesnina of Russia.
The unseeded Indo-Russian duo had pulled off a big upset by ousting second seeds and strong contenders Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymonds with a straight-set win in the first round.
In the doubles quarter-finals, they will take on the Russian-Australian combination of Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy