Sania in quarterfinals of Family Circle Cup
Charleston: Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza advanced to the quarterfinals of the Family Circle Cup WTA tournament here with a straight-set victory over Sabine Lisicki of Germany.
Sania, who made it to the main draw through the qualifying rounds, beat the German wild card entrant 6-4, 6-4 in the second round singles match of the USD 721,000 prize money clay court event.
She will now meet 11th seed Shuai Peng of China in the quarterfinals. Peng had upset seventh seed Russian Nadia Petrova 6-3 5-7 6-2 in another second round match. Sania has also reached the quarterfinals in the doubles with her partner Elena Vesnina of Russia.
The unseeded Indo-Russian duo had pulled off a big upset by ousting second seeds and strong contenders Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymonds with a straight-set win in the first round.
In the doubles quarter-finals, they will take on the Russian-Australian combination of Alla Kudryavtseva and Anastasia Rodionova.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note