Sania stays in qualifying race, Somdev beaten
Cincinnati (Ohio): India`s Sania Mirza is one win from qualifying for the main draw of the Western and Southern tennis qualifying tournament after beating her one-time doubles partner Vania King in three gruelling sets whereas her compatriot Somdev Devvarman was surprisingly beaten by Turkey`s Marsel Ilhan in straight sets.
In a closely contested match on the Centre Court, Sania, the No.13 seed, edged King 7-6(4), 2-6, 7-6(5) while Somdev, ranked 65th, went down to lower-ranked Ilhan 4-6, 6-7(3) Saturday. The Indian had beaten Ilhan in straight sets to win the 2010 Izmir Cup Challenger in their only meeting on the circuit.
Sania next plays American Alexa Glatch, ranked 86 below her at 151, who put out
Frenchwoman Mathilde Johansson 7-5, 6-1 in another first round tie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video