Sania wins 9th doubles WTA title
Guangzhou: Sania Mirza won today won her ninth WTA doubles title when she triumphed at the Guangzhou International Women`s Open along with Romanian partner Edina Gallovits here.
Sania and Edina beat local favourites Xinyun Han and Wanting Liu 7-5 6-3 in the summit clash of the USD 220,000 hard court event.
It was Sania`s first WTA title in 17 months as the last time she won was in April 2009 at Ponte Vedra Beach event with Taipei`s Chia-Jung Chuang.
Sania earned 280 ranking points and split USD 11,000 with Edina as prize money.
Sania won her first and only WTA singles title in 2005 after beating Alyona Bondarenko of Ukraine in the Hyderabad Open.
Her maiden Grand Slam title came only last year when she won the mixed doubles event of the Australian Open along with Mahesh Bhupathi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre