Sanjay Dutt campaigns for Congress
Allahabad: Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt on Saturday
toured the district campaigning for Congress for assembly
polls in Uttar Pradesh, which he described as "my home I had
left a few years ago only to come back".
The burly 53-year-old actor began his electioneering from
Meja assembly constituency in the district`s trans-Yamuna
region, some 65 km from the city, where he urged the people to
vote for the party which has been out of power in the state
for more than two decades.
"Please consider Congress as your home. I myself see it
as my home which I had left a few years ago only to come back.
After all, it is the party which my parents Nargis and Sunil
Dutt were associated with. People of UP had abandoned their
home (Congress) 22 years ago", said the actor adding "I beg
you all to come back".
Dutt had joined Samajwadi Party prior to the 2009 Lok
Sabha elections but quit following his close friend Amar
According to city Congress president Shyamkrisna Pandey,
Dutt`s helicopter developed a snag, as a result of which the
actor undertook a three-hour-long road journey to reach
Phaphamau from here.
"Fans of Dutt were disappointed as when he arrived at the
site of the election meeting in Phaphamau, the district
administration told us that we could not proceed with our
scheduled programme as special permission was required for
holding any public meeting after sunset", Pandey said.
The people blocked Dutt`s cavalcade but were pacified
when the actor came out of the car, waved at them and promised
that he would come back if they helped the Congress candidate
gain victory", Pandey said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics