Sankararaman: 3 more prosecution witnesses turn hostile
Puducherry: Three more prosecution witnesses, including a woman, in the Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Swraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Swraswathi are the main accused, turned hostile during the trial in a local court Thursday.
Three of the seven witnesses examined by Public Prosecutor N Devadoss before Principal District and Sessions Judge D Krishnaraja contradicted their earlier statements made to the police.
Of the 24 accused in the case, only seven were present. The absentees included the seers who were charged undedr IPC sections 120-B (conspiracy)and 302 (murder).
The Judge adjourned the hearing to tomorrow.
So far 95 witnesses have been examined since the commencement of the trial here after the Supreme Court shifted the case from the Chengalpattu district court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswathi in October 2005. Fiftytwo of the witnesses have turned hostile.
Sankararaman, Manager of Varadaraja Perumal temple in Kancheepuram, was murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray