Sankararaman case: Arguments for accused completed
Puducherry: A local court Tuesday adjourned to December 17 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan adjourned the case after counsel for M.Sundaresa Iyer, Manager in the Kanchi Sankara Mutt, and Kadiravan completed the arguments today.
Arguments by defence counsel for all the 24 accused have thus been completed.
Special Public Prosecutor N.Devadoss told newsmen that he would present the replies on behalf of prosecution when hearing is resumed on December 17.
The two seers were among the 13 accused present during the hearing today.
Sankararaman, former employee of Varadarajaperumal temple in Tamil Nadu was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004. The two seers have been charged under IPC sections of 120-B (conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial was shifted from Tamil Nadu to Puducherry following a Supreme Court order after a petition was filed by Jayendra in 2005.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses were examined and cross-examined in the case during the trial here between 2009 and 2011. Eightyone of the total witnesses turned hostile during examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says