Sankararaman case: Arguments for accused completed
Puducherry: A local court Tuesday adjourned to December 17 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan adjourned the case after counsel for M.Sundaresa Iyer, Manager in the Kanchi Sankara Mutt, and Kadiravan completed the arguments today.
Arguments by defence counsel for all the 24 accused have thus been completed.
Special Public Prosecutor N.Devadoss told newsmen that he would present the replies on behalf of prosecution when hearing is resumed on December 17.
The two seers were among the 13 accused present during the hearing today.
Sankararaman, former employee of Varadarajaperumal temple in Tamil Nadu was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004. The two seers have been charged under IPC sections of 120-B (conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial was shifted from Tamil Nadu to Puducherry following a Supreme Court order after a petition was filed by Jayendra in 2005.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses were examined and cross-examined in the case during the trial here between 2009 and 2011. Eightyone of the total witnesses turned hostile during examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened