Sankararaman case: Witness examination on Aug 5
Puducherry: A local court Monday fixed for
August 5 examination of defence witnesses in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi Seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge T Ramasamy set the
date following a plea for grant of some time for examination
of the defence witnesses as they could not be present today.
Questioning of all the accused in the case had been
completed on July 22 and the date for commencement of
arguments by prosecution and defence counsels was to be decided today.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters that
if the defence witnesses did not turn up even on Aug 5,
arguments by prosecution and defence counsels would commence
that day itself.
Only seven of the 24 accused were present in the court
today and the absentees included the two seers.
Sankararaman, Manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in
Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the
temple on September 3, 2004.
The two seers were charged under IPC sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial in the case was shifted from Chengalpet in Tamil
Nadu`s Kancheepuram district to Puducherry on a directive
from the Supreme court, following a petition filed by Jayendra
Saraswathi in October 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses were examined since commencement
of the trial here in April 2009. Of them, 81 had turned
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!