Sankararaman case: Witness examination on Aug 5
Puducherry: A local court Monday fixed for
August 5 examination of defence witnesses in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi Seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
Principal District and Sessions Judge T Ramasamy set the
date following a plea for grant of some time for examination
of the defence witnesses as they could not be present today.
Questioning of all the accused in the case had been
completed on July 22 and the date for commencement of
arguments by prosecution and defence counsels was to be decided today.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss told reporters that
if the defence witnesses did not turn up even on Aug 5,
arguments by prosecution and defence counsels would commence
that day itself.
Only seven of the 24 accused were present in the court
today and the absentees included the two seers.
Sankararaman, Manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in
Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the
temple on September 3, 2004.
The two seers were charged under IPC sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial in the case was shifted from Chengalpet in Tamil
Nadu`s Kancheepuram district to Puducherry on a directive
from the Supreme court, following a petition filed by Jayendra
Saraswathi in October 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses were examined since commencement
of the trial here in April 2009. Of them, 81 had turned
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'