Sankararaman murder: Case adjourned to August 24
Puducherry: A court here on Friday adjourned to August 24 the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused.
Only seven of the 24 accused were present when the case came up for hearing before Principal District and Sessions Judge of Puducherry CS Murugan.
The absentees included the two seers who have been charged under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The Judge adjourned the case after Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss sought time in view of the plea by Sankararaman`s son Anand Sharma seeking copies of some documents and cassettes pending with the CB-CID headquarters in Chennai.
Devadoss said the Judge had earlier directed the prosecution to furnish the copies to Sharma.
Sankararaman, Manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu, was murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004. The two sankaracharyas have been charged with hatching a conspiracy to kill him due to previous enmity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead