Sankararaman murder case: Hearing adjourned till April 16
Puducherry: A local court on Thursday adjourned till April 16 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi Mutt seers Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra saraswathi are the prime accused.
The hearing resumed before Principal District and Sessions Judge CS Murugan, who adjourned further proceedings to April 16.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss later told reporters that arguments by the prosecution and defence counsels for all the accused had already been completed in earlier hearings.
He said the Judge had directed him and defence counsel CP Tirunavukarasu (appearing for approver Ravi Subramanian who turned hostile during earlier hearings) to submit their petitions with arguments and prayers to handle the situation arising out of the approver turning hostile during deposition on January 21, 2010.
These petitions would be considered by the local court for further action in consultation with the Madras High Court, the special public prosecutor told reporters.
Only 13 of the 23 accused were present in the court today and among those present included Vijayendra.
Sankararaman, manager in Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 03, 2004. The two seers have been charged under IPC Sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial in the case was shifted to Puducherry court on an order of the Supreme Court issued in a writ petition filed by the seer Jayendrar in October 2005.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses have so far been examined during the trial between 2009 and 2011. Eighty-one of them turned hostile during examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch