Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned to Nov 1
Puducherry: A local court on Thursday adjourned to November 1, the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi Seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior
Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
Of the 24 accused, only eight were present when the hearing resumed before the Principal District and Sessions Judge T Ramaswamy.
The absentees included Jayendra and Vijayendra who have been charged under various sections of IPC for criminal conspiracy and murder.
During the trial today, five more prosecution witnesses, including a woman, of the seven examined and cross-examined turned hostile. They contradicted the statements they had
given earlier before police in Kancheepuram.
A total of 103 witnesses had been examined since the commencement of the trial here after the Supreme Court shifted the case from Chengalpattu district court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswathi in October 2005.
Of them, 58 have turned hostile.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss said the hearing was adjourned to November 1. Around 120 more witnesses are to be examined in connection with the case.
Sankararaman, manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day