Sankararaman murder: Hearing adjourned to Nov 1
Puducherry: A local court on Thursday adjourned to November 1, the hearing in the Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi Seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior
Vijayendra Saraswathi are the main accused.
Of the 24 accused, only eight were present when the hearing resumed before the Principal District and Sessions Judge T Ramaswamy.
The absentees included Jayendra and Vijayendra who have been charged under various sections of IPC for criminal conspiracy and murder.
During the trial today, five more prosecution witnesses, including a woman, of the seven examined and cross-examined turned hostile. They contradicted the statements they had
given earlier before police in Kancheepuram.
A total of 103 witnesses had been examined since the commencement of the trial here after the Supreme Court shifted the case from Chengalpattu district court on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswathi in October 2005.
Of them, 58 have turned hostile.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss said the hearing was adjourned to November 1. Around 120 more witnesses are to be examined in connection with the case.
Sankararaman, manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered in the temple premises on September 3, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan