Sankararaman murder: Video cassettes screened
Puducherry: Three more video cassettes were
screened today during an in-camera proceeding in a local court
in Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi seer Jayendra
Saraswati and his junior Vijendra are the main accused.
The screening of first batch of three video cassettes was
done yesterday before Principal District and Sessions Judge T
Ramasamy on a petition by Special Public Prosecutor N
The cassettes, which are "vital documents", were
collected by police during investigation into the case.
The Special Public Prosecutor and defence counsel were
only present during the in-camera proceeding for viewing the
cassettes. The court ordered screening of the remaining three
video and one audio cassette on August 17.
The date for commencement of arguments in the case will
be finalised after completion of screening of the cassettes at
the next hearing, Devadoss said.
Sankararaman, manager in Varadarajaperumal temple in
Kancheepuram, was allegedly murdered on the premises of the
temple on September 3, 2004. A total of 189 witnesses were
examined and cross-examined since commencement of the trial in
April 2009, of whom 87 had turned hostile.
Saraswati and Vijendra have been charged under IPC
sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Chengalpattu
court on a directive of the Supreme Court in a writ petition
filed by Saraswati in October 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends