Sarabjit Singh`s ashes immersed in Beas River
Amritsar: Ashes of Sarabjit Singh, who died after being brutally assaulted in a Pakistani jail, were on Sunday immersed in the Beas river at Goindwal Sahib in the neighbouring Tarn Taran district, as hundreds of people bade adieu to him with tearful eyes.
Dalbir Kaur, the sister of Sarabjit, confirming the submersion of ashes, said that almost the entire residents of Bikhiwind village, besides Chief Parliament Secretary of Punjab Government Virsa Singh Valtoha paid their last tributes to the departed soul.
She said that the Sarabjit`s ash was immersed in the river as per the Sikh rituals in the presence of his wife Sukhpreet Kaur, daughters Swapandeep and Poonam and son-in-law Sanjay.
On May 3, the mortal remains of Sarabjit were consigned to flames in his native village with full state honours when a contingent of Punjab Police reversed their arms and fired volley of shots in the air as a mark of respect to him.
A sizeable crowd comprising hundreds of villagers and VIPs, including Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy CM Sukhbir Badal, Punjab Cabinet minister Bikram Majithia, Union Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur bade a heartfelt adieu in the cremation ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’