Sarabjit Singh`s ashes immersed in Beas River
Amritsar: Ashes of Sarabjit Singh, who died after being brutally assaulted in a Pakistani jail, were on Sunday immersed in the Beas river at Goindwal Sahib in the neighbouring Tarn Taran district, as hundreds of people bade adieu to him with tearful eyes.
Dalbir Kaur, the sister of Sarabjit, confirming the submersion of ashes, said that almost the entire residents of Bikhiwind village, besides Chief Parliament Secretary of Punjab Government Virsa Singh Valtoha paid their last tributes to the departed soul.
She said that the Sarabjit`s ash was immersed in the river as per the Sikh rituals in the presence of his wife Sukhpreet Kaur, daughters Swapandeep and Poonam and son-in-law Sanjay.
On May 3, the mortal remains of Sarabjit were consigned to flames in his native village with full state honours when a contingent of Punjab Police reversed their arms and fired volley of shots in the air as a mark of respect to him.
A sizeable crowd comprising hundreds of villagers and VIPs, including Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy CM Sukhbir Badal, Punjab Cabinet minister Bikram Majithia, Union Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur bade a heartfelt adieu in the cremation ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened