Satish Misra charged with poll code violation
Lucknow: The Election Commission on Thursday charged Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) general secretary Satish Misra of violating the model code of conduct.
A show cause notice was issued to Misra late on Thursday evening, asking him to explain his conduct during a public rally at Chandauli district on February 5, when he allegedly appealed to the audience in the name of caste.
"Mr Misra was found to have openly made appeals to his audience at the public rally to vote for the BSP since it was only political outfit combining the dalit and upper caste vote," a poll panel official told reporters here.
"He has been asked to submit his explanation latest by February 12," he added.
Asked if anyone had made a complaint against Misra, the official said: "We have video recordings of the public rally where Mr Misra went about repeatedly referring to BSP`s Dalit-Brahmin social engineering."
According to the official, use of caste, creeds or religion in public meetings was not permissible under the model code of conduct.
Misra had first shot into the spotlight as BSP`s Brahmin mascot for playing a key role in building the "rainbow coalition" of the upper caste community with Dalits, the party`s support base.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?