SBI to get RBI nod for Doha branch soon
Mumbai: India`s largest lender, State Bank
of India, expects to receive the Reserve Bank`s and Doha
government`s approval to set up a branch there by the first
week of December, a top SBI official said.
"We hope the permission will come by the first week of
next month. Currently, the proposal is under the consideration
of government and Reserve Bank of India," the SBI official
told PTI here.
As part of global expansion strategy, State Bank decided
to open a branch at the Qatar Financial Centre (QFC), Doha and
approached the regulator for necessary permissions three
Once RBI clears the proposal, SBI will approach the Doha
government authorities for permission and the bank expects to
start operations of the branch by March-April, the official
Initially, SBI plans to use the branch for wholesale
banking, loan syndication and corporate advisory businesses,
though later it will consider venturing into retail banking.
Doha has nearly 4 lakh Indian population and many Indian
corporates have operations in that country, the official said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Muttiah Muralitharan, three others to be inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Rio Games 2016: Olympic pro at 22, Shiva Thapa banks on improved strength at mega event
- India vs West Indies: Confident visitors arrive in Kingston for 2nd Test
- Coal scam: Court awards 3 years jail term to Rathi Steel CEO
- 'India more than capable of achieving 100 Smart City goal'