SC disallows abortion of mentally challenged woman
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed the order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court directing termination of the pregnancy of a mentally challenged orphan who was raped at a Nari Niketan in Chandigarh.
"We stay the operation of the High Court order," a
Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan said.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had passed the
direction for termination of her pregnancy after considering
two reports of an expert committee involving doctors and
Time is running out for the victim as she is
in the 19th week of pregnancy and as per law the medical
termination of pregnancy is prohibited after the 20th week.
The victim approached the Apex Court against the High
court order and it had issued an urgent notice to the
Chandigarh Administration yesterday.
"We are worried about her. More so, because she is an
orphan and does not have social support," the Bench had said
adding "time is also very less".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know