SC disallows abortion of mentally challenged woman
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed the order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court directing termination of the pregnancy of a mentally challenged orphan who was raped at a Nari Niketan in Chandigarh.
"We stay the operation of the High Court order," a
Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan said.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had passed the
direction for termination of her pregnancy after considering
two reports of an expert committee involving doctors and
Time is running out for the victim as she is
in the 19th week of pregnancy and as per law the medical
termination of pregnancy is prohibited after the 20th week.
The victim approached the Apex Court against the High
court order and it had issued an urgent notice to the
Chandigarh Administration yesterday.
"We are worried about her. More so, because she is an
orphan and does not have social support," the Bench had said
adding "time is also very less".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!