SC disallows abortion of mentally challenged woman
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed the order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court directing termination of the pregnancy of a mentally challenged orphan who was raped at a Nari Niketan in Chandigarh.
"We stay the operation of the High Court order," a
Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan said.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had passed the
direction for termination of her pregnancy after considering
two reports of an expert committee involving doctors and
Time is running out for the victim as she is
in the 19th week of pregnancy and as per law the medical
termination of pregnancy is prohibited after the 20th week.
The victim approached the Apex Court against the High
court order and it had issued an urgent notice to the
Chandigarh Administration yesterday.
"We are worried about her. More so, because she is an
orphan and does not have social support," the Bench had said
adding "time is also very less".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi