SC disallows abortion of mentally challenged woman
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday stayed the order of the Punjab and Haryana High Court directing termination of the pregnancy of a mentally challenged orphan who was raped at a Nari Niketan in Chandigarh.
"We stay the operation of the High Court order," a
Bench headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan said.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court had passed the
direction for termination of her pregnancy after considering
two reports of an expert committee involving doctors and
Time is running out for the victim as she is
in the 19th week of pregnancy and as per law the medical
termination of pregnancy is prohibited after the 20th week.
The victim approached the Apex Court against the High
court order and it had issued an urgent notice to the
Chandigarh Administration yesterday.
"We are worried about her. More so, because she is an
orphan and does not have social support," the Bench had said
adding "time is also very less".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!