SC notice to 23 states, 3 UTs on Tata Motors` plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has issued notices to 23 states and three UTs on a petition by Tata Motors seeking quashing of the Central Sales Tax Appellate Authority`s decision asking it to pay Central Sales Tax to the tune of around Rs 14 crore on sale of bus chassis to the Andhra Pradesh government.
A Bench headed by Justice S H Kapadia while refusing to stay the impugned judgement issued notices yesterday to the Central Sales Tax Appellate Authority, 23 states and three
While the Appellate Authority, which has been constituted to resolve conflicting findings relating to supply of similar goods attracting local sales tax or CST, had held that such
sales constituted sales in the course of inter-state trade.
It had asked Tata Motors to pay CST without any further directions for refund or adjustment of the local taxes paid to Andhra Pradesh on such sales.
However, the Authority had partly allowed the company`s plea to remand the matter back to the Commercial Taxes Tribunal, Jharkhand, for examining the transactions made to other states.
According to the assessee, it was fit case for grant of stay of recovery of CST in order to avoid double taxation as local sales tax had already been paid in respect of all
supplies to various states, which was almost equal to the CST demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan